This refreshing summer drink is so quick and simple to make. You can either serve it as a drink or make the mixture into ice pops. Swap the crushed ice for water if you do not want a slushy type of drink, or even for lemon-lime soda for a change of flavor. Using whole ice cubes rather than crushed ice will give you a colder drink but check your blender can tackle ice before doing this, because the cheaper ones sometimes have problems with it. This recipe serves two but it is easy enough to double or triple if you want to make a batch of this for your next cookout.
All you need to do is add watermelon, ice and perhaps some sugar or sweetener to the blender to make it. For a south of the border twist, try squeezing in a little lime juice (and make sure you add some kind of sugar or sweetener else it will be too tart) and maybe even a splash of tequila, to really get the party started! Watermelon is one of the most refreshing fruits anyway, because of its summery, light flavor, and high water content, but blending it with ice and sugar means you can turn it into a refreshing drink rather than a refreshing snack.
Health Benefits of Watermelon
Although about 92% of a watermelon is simply water, you will also find plenty of nutrients in there including vitamins A, B6 and C, amino acids, antioxidants, lycopene (more than any other fruit or vegetable), and potassium. If the weather is hot, it is important to ensure you get plenty of fluids and also other nutrients, so watermelon makes a great dessert or snack, accompaniment to a meal, or even a drink. It is a versatile ingredient which just about everyone enjoys. Some fruits can go straight on the barbeque, such as bananas, pineapple or mangos, but watermelon is not a great candidate because of its high water content. It would just melt and disappear on the grill, so instead of wasting this precious fruit, make a slushy with it instead, and you can enjoy the wonderful flavor and delicious contrast with whatever you are cooking.
This watermelon slushy is versatile because you can throw any other fruit into the blender too, just adding more ice or water if it is too thick. Try adding a banana too perhaps, because the creamy, rich texture complements the watermelon. We already mentioned a dash of lime juice but you could try lemon or grapefruit for a similar zing, or some strawberries, grapes, peach, raspberries, pineapple, red apple, or anything else you want to use to make your slushy perfect for your palate. This drink will get thumbs-up from the kids at the party as well as from the grownups.
- 2 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 2 cups crushed ice
- White sugar or sweetener, to taste (optional)
- Put the watermelon and crushed ice in a blender.
- Add sugar or sweetener if liked.
- Blend and serve right away.
Are you looking for an easy, healthy watermelon slushy recipe? This one is so quick and easy to rustle up and it is the perfect thing for a hot, sunny day, when you just want to feel refreshed. Cooking over a hot barbeque is hardly a way to cool down but add a cup of this to the equation and you will find you have plenty of energy to continue cooking no matter how hot it gets. Watermelon has a distinctive flavor which appeals to all ages, and simply blending it with ice and adding some sugar or sweetener if you want means you end up with a flavorful slushy.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11155 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9215 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8648 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8416 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8069 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7855 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7482 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6986 Views)