Making exotic drinks can be a lot of fun. Not only can you experiment with different flavors and colors, but you can tweak recipes to your heart’s content, making them alcohol-free or adults-only if you prefer. The following cooler recipe includes passion fruit, pineapple, orange, and grapefruit, along with honey, lemon and some ice to serve. Add a raspberry to each glass and you have the most beautiful beverages which will cool you down during the hotter months and look beautiful too. This is suitable for grownups and kids too, and the flavor is so much nicer than anything which comes in a bottle or can.
A lot of summer drinks are really fruit, just because fruit is especially refreshing. This recipe features passion fruit pulp which is a recognizable ingredient because of the little black seeds. If you would prefer to use passion fruit cordial that would also work, but consider using fresh because the flavor is so good. Many of the ingredients in this recipe are sweet, which is why we are including some lemon juice so it is not too sweet. A little grapefruit juice is also nice in this ‘mocktail’ (non-alcoholic cocktail) because it offers a bitter tang which counters the sweetness in the drink, making it nicely balanced.
Mixing It All Together
To combine the ingredients, you can just stir them together in a pitcher, but you could also use a blender because honey is one of the ingredients and a blender will combine it better with the other ingredients. Stir in the lemonade afterwards, not in the blender unless you want to blow the top off! Rather than adding ice to the mixture, you can divide that between the glasses and then pour the finished beverage over the top. Add some orange juice on top, so you get a layered look, and then add a raspberry just for a pretty presentation. A strawberry or blueberry would also add a contrasting color, or even a wedge of pineapple or a maraschino cherry.
The quantities we are using here will make about 8 drinks assuming you half-fill each glass with ice, but it is easy to halve or double the recipe if you have different requirements. If you do not want to use honey, substitute some white sugar or just leave it out if you prefer not to sweeten your drink at all. The fruit juices already offer a natural sweetness. Another great thing about drinks like this, apart from the fantastic flavors of course, is the fact you can make them in mere minutes, just as long as it takes to mix the ingredients together. Begin with chilled ingredients and you will not need much ice at all.
The Appeal of Homemade Drinks
If you are looking for something special and refreshing, this is definitely a recipe you can try. Yes you could open a bottle of soda or hand out some canned beverages, but it is much nicer to prepare your own drinks and offer something lovingly homemade. It is too easy to forget about the drinks when shopping for chicken, steak, burgers, potato salad and the ingredients to make coleslaw, but add some fruit juices, lemonade, fresh lemons, and ice to your grocery cart, and you can get busy making wonderfully fruity mocktails for everyone to enjoy. Washing your burgers and chicken down with a homemade beverage like this ensures your cookout will be perfect in every way.
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit pulp
- 2 cups chilled pineapple juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups chilled orange juice
- 2 cups chilled lemonade
- 2 cups chilled grapefruit juice
- Ice, to serve
- 8 fresh or frozen raspberries, to garnish
- Combine the passion fruit pulp with the pineapple juice.
- Stir this with the lemon juice, honey, half the orange juice, the lemonade, and grapefruit juice.
- Stir in the lemonade.
- Serve over ice and top with the remaining orange juice.
- Garnish each one with a raspberry.
The absolute ‘cherry on the cake’ when having a barbeque is making your own beverages. That really does prove you remembered everything, not just the meat! So when you are shopping for the steaks and chicken do not forget to add some fresh fruit and colorful garnishes to your grocery cart so one of you can cook the meat and the other can prepare the side dishes and drinks. This particular recipe is versatile and you can tweak it to your heart’s content, even adding a splash of your favorite liquor if you want to make punch for the grownups. Using passion fruit adds visual appeal as well as a tantalizing tropical flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40258 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16153 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11296 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9251 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (9235 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8581 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8271 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7984 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7559 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (7096 Views)