Eggplant grills beautifully and the same can be said for many easy grilled vegetables recipes. Grilled eggplant is easy to make and it is best grilled in long strips with olive oil to keep it juicy. Eggplant only takes a few minutes to cook because it contains quite a lot of water. The best way to store marinated eggplant is in a sterilized jar.
To sterilize a jar for your marinated eggplant, wash the jar, lid in hot, soapy water, and rinse well. Put the jar and lid in a big pan, cover with water and boil for ten minutes, and then put them on a baking paper lined tray in the oven at 300 degrees F until dry. Use the jars straight from the oven.
All you need for this ultra-simple recipe is the eggplant plus some olive oil. Yes, that is all you need. If you want to use another kind of oil, that is fine, but olive oil offers a unique and distinctive flavor which complements any vegetables, eggplant included. So if you only have canola or sunflower oil, you may use that. You will miss out on the wholesome olive oil flavor but those oils will perform the same job.
Before you start grilling the eggplant, you might want to do something about the bitter flavor some people find in eggplant. If you dislike this vegetable because you can taste some kind of bitter flavor, just sprinkle salt over the cut eggplant and let it sit for half an hour, then rinse the salt off and proceed with the recipe. Not everybody is bothered by the slightly bitter flavor of eggplant, and not everybody dislikes it, but if that is a problem for you then go ahead and use the salting method. You will see the salt pulls out the bitter liquid if you leave the slices sitting for 20 or 30 minutes.
Your eggplant needs to be brushed with olive oil to seal in the moisture and then it can go on the grill. It will only take a few minutes to cook it, and that is 2 minutes or so per side. Click the link below to view the marinade recipe. You will see it includes olive oil, onion, oregano, garlic and vinegar. This tangy, piquant marinade is perfect for the eggplant because it offers plenty of wonderful flavor without interfering with the eggplant recipe or overpowering the taste of your vegetables.
You can serve this as an appetizer, perhaps part of a tapas plate which also boasts chorizo, cheese and olives, or you can serve it as a side dish or part of a buffet. This is an incredibly easy recipe to master, and you do not have to keep the cooked eggplant in the marinade if you do not want to. Just serve it fresh off the barbeque if you prefer, rather than canning or jarring it. Eggplant is something a lot of home cooks overlook in favor of other vegetables, but it offers a unique flavor and makes a nice change from those other veggies.
- 2 eggplants, sliced vertically into long wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- Brush half the eggplant slices with half the olive oil all over.
- Cook for a couple of minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining oil and eggplant.
- When the eggplant wedges are cool, mix them with the eggplant marinade and store in a sterilized, airtight jar in the refrigerator.
This marinated eggplant recipe makes a delicious change from many of our other similar barbequed vegetable recipes, and it features a wonderful-tasting marinade to accompany the eggplant. The marinade is optional but it is nice to use if you wish to preserve the eggplant in cans or jars after grilling, but you may omit it if you simply want to barbeque the eggplant and serve it right away. This recipe is simple enough for absolutely anyone, and you can serve the eggplant alongside your favorite meat, poultry or fish. It is also nice as part of a buffet or served as a side dish with pretty much any other recipe.
You can find the marinade for this recipe in our marinade section of the old site at this link for The Best Eggplant Marinade Recipe
One Response to Juicy Marinated Grilled Eggplant
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40258 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16153 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11293 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9251 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (9232 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8581 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8271 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7982 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7559 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (7096 Views)