Barbecue sauce is frequently used in, or served with, grilled meat recipes but what about with vegetarian recipes? This grilled asparagus recipe features barbecue butter, which is lighter and creamier than barbecue sauce and goes perfectly with the tasty, crunchy asparagus.
A lot of people do not pick up asparagus when they are shopping for vegetables because they have fallen into the habit of always buying the same items but this week why not try asparagus instead of broccoli or one of the other veggies you keep buying? It is good to change your shopping habits because different vegetables offer different vitamins and minerals and eating a varied diet means you are treating your body to a wider range of nutrients.
If you are looking for a barbecue sauce recipe to serve with a meat dish, there are plenty to choose from or you can buy a readymade barbecue sauce from the store. This barbecue butter has a smoky BBQ flavor and can be served with grilled fish as well as with this grilled asparagus recipe. If you prefer, you can omit the barbeque sauce and just cook the asparagus because this recipe shows you exactly how to do that.
Choose a different sauce if you prefer. Hollandaise sauce is nice with asparagus, especially if you add poached eggs, muffins and bacon to the dish, or you can try aioli, a lemon mayonnaise or something else. Are you serving the asparagus as part of a meal, alongside something which already has its own sauce? In that case you do not need a separate sauce for the asparagus. If it is to be the star of the dish though, do make the sauce because it goes so nicely.
Asparagus can be cooked in a variety of ways. It can be stood upright in a special asparagus pan so the thicker stalks simmer in water while the more delicate tips are steamed, it can be chopped and added to stir-fries, or it can be baked, poached, roasted or even microwave. One of the best ways to cook it though is on the barbeque, because the smoky flavor the barbeque gives food works really well with asparagus.
Not only can this versatile vegetable be cooked in a number of different ways but it is also suitable for a variety of cuisines. Asparagus goes just as well in an Asian stir-fry as next to a fish filet with some beurre blanc. Serve it blanched as part of a salad or slice it thinly to add to a grilled vegetable sandwich. Try asparagus in your next omelet or use it to top a homemade pizza. This underrated vegetable is so easy to cook and it is also healthy. Barbequing uses a dry heat and this means even more of the nutrients in asparagus stay in the stalks, so forget all your vitamins and minerals leaching into the cooking water because that does not happen when you barbeque.
- 2 lbs large asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium hot.
- Gently toss the asparagus with the salt, pepper, and oil.
- Grill until tender, turning once.
- This takes about 6 minutes.
- Serve topped with slices of the Homemade Barbecue Butter on this page of our site.
Enjoy this barbequed asparagus recipe with homemade barbecue butter. Grilled asparagus is a wonderful way to prepare this much misunderstood vegetable because grilling brings out the natural flavor and sweetness of the vegetable and infuses it with an aromatic smokiness. Enjoy your asparagus cooked in this way and present it to your guests as a side dish or appetizer. Aim for a few grill-marks to enhance the presentation and cook the asparagus until it is tender but still with a little bite to it. Once a thin knife blade can slide through the center of an asparagus spear with minimal resistance the spears are ready to serve.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40258 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16151 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11293 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9251 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (9232 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8581 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8268 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7982 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7559 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (7093 Views)