There are plenty of Chinese vegetable recipes to choose from and Chinese-style veggies are especially good because they usually feature typical Asian seasonings to give them an authentic taste. These Chinese vegetable packets mean that you can combine everything in foil packets and grill them at the same time as the meat, fish or whatever else you are grilling. Alternatively, you can make these as an appetizer. Have your guests open the packets with a knife and fork and then lean back because hot steam will escape when they are opened and nobody wants a face full of that.
The vegetables suggested in the recipe are Chinese cabbage, snow peas, scallions and straw mushrooms but you can change those if you want. Zucchini, bell peppers, corn, onion and asparagus are just a few more vegetable examples you can consider. If you want to use anything denser like potatoes, turnips or carrots, you should boil these in water for 10 minutes before adding them to the rest of the raw vegetables, to ensure all the vegetables are ready at the same time.
So, now to add the flavor. In this recipe the veggies are seasoned with chili, ginger and sesame oil, as well as some sesame seeds which are prized for their crunch and a nice taste. Feel free to raise or lower the amount of chili used and you can omit the sesame seeds if you do not have them because the recipe is almost as good without and besides you already have the sesame flavor from the sesame oil.
These will cook just as well on a gas grill as a charcoal grill but if that smoky barbeque flavor is something you want you can use a fork to prick some holes in the foil packets. This will allow the smoke to get in and add flavor to the vegetables. Another method is to use a basket or wok on the barbeque so the smoke can get to the vegetables even more easily.
That is the whole point of barbequing anyway, so use whatever you have. Even a cast iron wok can be used over flames, so if you want to get all the benefits of using a barbeque get creative and you can find a way. All you need is a barbeque and you can get all the rest of the stuff later on, like the pots, pans, a wok, grill baskets and more.
Serve these tasty Chinese vegetables with fish, chicken or meat. If your meat is resting for 10 minutes then you can add the vegetables to the grill as soon as you take the meat off. As soon as the snow peas are tender that means everything will be, and the meal is ready to dish up. Enjoy the typical Chinese flavors whether you are serving this just as it is or with meat, chicken or fish. These vegetables boost the nutritional value of any meal and offer plenty of delicious flavor too.
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage, in ¼ inch pieces
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 can straw mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons jalapeño chili
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 scallions, sliced in half
- Mix the cabbage, snow peas, scallions, and mushrooms together in a bowl.
- Whisk together the chili ginger, oil and salt in another bowl.
- Coat the vegetables with this mixture.
- Place the vegetables in 4 individual 12-inch squares of tinfoil. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the vegetables and fold and seal the packets.
- Grill on the edge of the grill rack, turning often.
- The packets will be ready after about 10 minutes or when the snow peas are tender.
Mix and match your vegetables or use the suggestions in the recipe. Anything goes so why not pick colorful vegetables in green, orange, yellow and red, for a vibrant and eye-catching dish which will attract every diner. These Chinese barbequed vegetables can be served on Chinese crockery like in the picture to add a further air of authenticity to your meal. There is no need to get bored with veggies when it is so easy to give them an exciting international flavor. Serve these with meat or fish as well as some fried rice or noodles for a full and satisfying dinner.
Leave a Reply
- Mozzarella and Spinach-Stuffed Chicken
- Sticky Sweet Molasses Barbeque Sauce
- Refreshing Watermelon Slushy
- Whole Butterflied Chicken BBQ Style
- Trio of Seafood Pizza on a Homemade Crust
- 4 Kinds of Peppercorns Every Barbequer Should Know About
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables
- Salmon Steaks in Asian-Inspired BBQ Sauce
- Tangy Marinated Mixed Bell Peppers
- Chicken BLT Sandwiches with Avocado
- Home (38018 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (14357 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (8831 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (8599 Views)
- 4 Kinds of Peppercorns Every Barbequer Should Know About (5645 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (5499 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (5452 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (5077 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (4723 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes with a Garlic Chipotle Dip (4129 Views)