This pizza has a whole-wheat crust and a nutritious vegetarian topping. This is a colorful vegetable pizza recipe, which tastes every bit as good as it looks. There are plenty of different vegetable pizza recipes, some of which use cheese and mushrooms or tomatoes or even asparagus.
This one combines the flavors and colors of broccoli, bell pepper, mushroom and cheese to give a gourmet flavor. This pizza is ideal for cooking on the grill, since the base is finished off to perfection and the vegetables cook gently.
The whole wheat dough gives this pizza a very different flavor than the white flour crust pizzas you might be more familiar with, but a lot of people prefer whole wheat when given the choice because it offers a wholesome flavor and goes especially well with the vegetables. The first thing to do is fire up the barbeque because it will take a while to get to the right temperature. Steam the broccoli first and then stretch out the dough so it fits on your grill grate. You can choose what shape to make it, such as round, rectangular or square.
When one side of the pizza crust is golden brown it is time to flip it over and oil both sides. Then you can add the delicious toppings. We are using onion, tomato, mushrooms, broccoli and bell pepper for the vegetables, and you can imagine how colorful those will look on there. The broccoli will have been pre-steamed to tenderize it a little, else it will be nearly raw when you serve the pizza. As well as the vegetables we are using garlic for flavor, and 2 kinds of cheese, mozzarella and feta. Cheese complements vegetables very nicely, which is why it is almost always included on vegetable pizza recipes.
A Healthy Spin on Classic Pizza
Pizza is never considered as one of the healthiest meals but there is no reason you cannot maximize the nutrition by using whole wheat flour and having a mainly vegetable topping. You will still be able to enjoy the crispy base, melted cheese on top and other ingredients, and this is not a substitute for pizza but instead a brand new way of making it, so you can enjoy something nutritious and wholesome but still with that comfort food appeal you love. Feel free to change the ingredients you use. Tomato and cheese are typical pizza toppings and the feta and mozzarella combine nicely. Using two kinds of cheese offers more dimension to the overall flavor.
The mushrooms, bell pepper and broccoli ensure the topping is colorful, but if you would prefer to swap the broccoli for zucchini, for example, the bell pepper for asparagus, or make any other substitutions, then go ahead and really make this whole wheat pizza your own. This is something your whole family will love, and you will love knowing they are eating something which is good for them. So if you are in the mood for comfort food but you do not want to deep-fry or eat a lot of fat, consider this healthy veggie pizza because it is really good.
- 1 lb whole-wheat pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, not too ripe, thinly sliced
- 3 medium thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch rings
- Handful of small broccoli florets
- 3 oz grated mozzarella
- Start a medium hot fire in the grill. Steam the broccoli for 3 minutes. Lightly oil the grill rack. Stretch the dough to fit the grill rack and place the rack over the fire. Grill the pizza dough until the bottom is browned. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove the grill rack and brush the top of the pizza with olive oil. Flip it over and brush oil on the other side. Spread the garlic over the crust, then the feta cheese, onion, tomato slices, and mushrooms. Arrange the red bell pepper rings over the pizza and fill each ring with broccoli florets. Scatter half the mozzarella over the top.
- Return the pizza, still on the rack, to the grill. Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, checking the crust after 5 minutes. If the pizza is cooking too fast, turn down the heat or move the rack to a cooler part of the grill. Remove the pizza rack and add the rest of the mozzarella before returning to the grill until all the ingredients are hot and the cheese has started to melt.
Healthy Whole Wheat Vegetable Pizza Recipe – Vegetable pizza is healthy to begin with but when combined with a delicious whole-wheat dough crust it makes for one incredible scrumptious meal. To complete the health advantages of this yummy veggie pizza it uses feta cheese to further enhance the flavor and give the vegetables a little bit of bite. There is something supremely satisfying about using a whole wheat crust. The flavor is out of this world and many people even prefer it to a white flour crust. The vegetables add even more nutrients, and the flavor is just amazing.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9221 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8663 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8431 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8078 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7872 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7495 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6992 Views)