Vegetarian pizzas are just as popular as the meat varieties and this delicious mushroom pizza recipe combines the flavors of spinach, Portobello mushrooms, and cheese. You can use goat’s cheese or blue cheese if you prefer, instead of or as well as the mozzarella, for a slightly different flavor.
You can also make your own pizza base for this Portobello mushroom pizza but using a readymade pizza crust means the recipe is quick and easy to make. Spinach pizza is very good and there are many spinach pizza recipes for slightly different flavors. Spinach and cheese go well together and a spinach pizza recipe with mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers or pretty much any other vegetable is sure to turn out great.
You will see from the comparatively short ingredients list and steps that this is quite an easy recipe, so if you are barbequing pizza for the first time you might like to give this one a try. As well as your readymade pizza crust you will need creamed spinach, mushrooms, mozzarella, garlic and a little oil. Nothing needs marinating or much preparation so you can fire up the barbeque as soon as you are ready to begin making this pizza. The pizza crust can be brushed with oil and then you can add some minced garlic to it. If you do not have garlic cloves a sprinkling of dried garlic will also work.
Next on to the pizza goes the creamed spinach. If you only have fresh or thawed spinach then you can wilt in in a pan with a little water, then stir in some cream cheese (or low-fat cream cheese if you are watching your weight) and that is how you make your own creamed spinach, or one way anyway. Ensure your creamed spinach is not too ‘wet’ (sieve some of the cream off if so, because you do not want your pizza crust to get soggy) and then spoon it over the crust. Next you can add the mozzarella and some chopped mushrooms. Since the mushrooms are chopped, you can use button ones instead of the Portobello kind if you wish. Your pizza is all ready to cook now, so just pop it on the barbeque and close the lid. The heat will crisp up the crust and melt the cheese, while the smoke from the coals will add a subtle smoky flavor to the pizza and enhance its taste and appeal.
So Much Natural Flavor
You might wonder if this will be a tasty pizza because it seems to be lacking herbs or spices. It is true the only flavor apart from the vegetable toppings is the garlic, and many people find this pizza refreshingly different because of this. You are not going to drown the flavors of the vegetables by adding spices or herbs. Instead these flavors will be shining through, accented by the garlic as well as a smoky touch from the barbeque. It is true these flavors work in perfect harmony and the resulting pizza is sure to put a smile on everyone’s face.
- 1 12 inch readymade pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup creamed spinach
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup grated mozzarella
- Preheat the grill to a medium hot heat and lightly oil the grates.
- Brush the pizza base with olive oil and sprinkle the garlic over the pizza.
- Heat it through on the grill. Heat the creamed spinach according to the instructions on the pack.
- Remove the pizza crust from the grill and spread the spinach over it, leaving an inch border at the edge.
- Top with the cheese and mushrooms.
- Return the pizza to the grill and cook with the lid closed to melt the cheese and warm all the toppings.
Grilled Pizza with Portobello Mushrooms and Spinach – This is another wonderful pizza to try on the grill. If you have never tried pizza piping hot off the grill, you really have not tasted pizza at all. This recipe features mushroom and spinach and other fresh vegetables to make a delightful pizza. There are not many pizzas as easy as this one, and you will be impressed with how the ingredients work together to make the most amazing dish. Serve this for lunch or dinner or make a batch if you want to serve a crowd, perhaps with some tomato and onion salad on the side.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9216 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8656 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8428 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8073 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7864 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7493 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6986 Views)