Sometimes it is nice to make quite a basic pizza recipe and other times it is nice to have a gourmet vegetarian pizza with lots of wonderful toppings. The following recipe makes a delicious gourmet vegetarian pizza and features ingredients such as broccoli, walnuts, gorgonzola, mushrooms and more. You can cook the onions a day ahead if you like and keep them chilled. Also, you can toast the nuts a day in advance and keep them in an airtight container at room temperature.
This flavorful pizza can be cooked indoors if the weather turns bad. You will need to bake the crust at 500 degrees F for ten minutes, then add the toppings and bake it for another four minutes. Baked pizza is good but grilled pizza is even better, thanks to the smoky flavor it takes on and the way the vegetables become really juicy and flavorful.
This gourmet vegetarian pizza is a treat for vegetarians and carnivores because the ingredients blend perfectly to give a well balanced pizza with a well rounded flavor. Serve this delicious gourmet vegetarian pizza with garlic bread and a green salad to make a complete meal if you like. It is also great for an outdoor buffet if you serve it while it is still hot.
Preheat the barbeque first, to give it time to heat up. Then you can cook the onions and broccoli. The onions get really sweet and juicy when you sauté them and the broccoli needs the time to tenderize a bit because else it will be too hard on the pizza.
As is the case with many barbeque pizza recipes, the dough needs to be cooked first, so cook it on one side then the other, oiling both sides to encourage them to go crispy. When the crust is done it is time to add your toppings and then you can put the lid down and cook the pizza until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Just imagine how amazing the result is going to be.
Exquisite Pizza Toppings
Broccoli is perhaps one of the more unusual toppings for pizza and a lot of people have never had it on top of a pizza, but it actually goes well, especially when teamed with the other toppings in this recipe. Corn, mushrooms and onions add to the veggie appeal, while parsley and basil add a herby touch and the toasted walnuts and gorgonzola up the ante where the gourmet factor is concerned, and transform this from a simple vegetarian pizza into something truly special which your palate will be enchanted by.
An Exciting Change
The corn and broccoli add bright colors to this pizza as well as nutrients, but of course you can alter the ingredients if you wish, perhaps swapping the corn for some cherry tomatoes or the broccoli for zucchini. This makes a nice change from the pizza margarita recipes or similar ones you might otherwise make by default, and sometimes it makes sense to try something new, just to make a change from routine dishes. This is one way to get the kids to eat their broccoli anyway!
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- ¼ head thinly sliced broccoli
- 6 halved button mushrooms
- 4 oz crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 2 halved, thinly sliced onions
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet until it shimmers, then add the onions, salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and sauté the onions for 15 minutes, stirring them occasionally. Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes more, or until the onions are golden.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and cover it so they stay warm.
- Prepare the grill to medium for gas or low for charcoal.
- Stretch the dough into a 10 x 12 inch oblong on a baking sheet and brush 1 tablespoon of the oil over it. Oil the grill rack, then put the dough on the grill, oiled side down, and brush the remaining oil over the other side.
- Grill the pizza dough with the grill lid down for 2 minutes or until it is golden brown underneath.
- Turn the crust over using a pair of tongs and put it on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cheese, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, nuts, basil, and parsley over it. Add the corn kernels.
- Slide the pizza back on to the grill rack and grill it with the cover down, until the cheese is melted and the underneath is golden brown.
- This will take about 3 minutes.
This colorful gourmet vegetarian pizza is topped with the finest ingredients, including gorgonzola and walnuts for a sophisticated taste, fresh herbs for an aromatic touch and tasty vegetables, making it a really mouthwatering choice if you are looking for the best grilled pizza recipes. This pizza is well balanced in terms of flavor and nutritional value – pizza does not have to be unhealthy! You can even make it healthier by using a whole wheat pizza crust for this one. If you are a fan of good pizza recipes, you will really enjoy the combination of textures and flavors in this gourmet vegetarian pizza recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9216 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8656 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8428 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8073 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7864 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7493 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6989 Views)