This delicious vegetarian pizza recipe is really flavorful and the combination of eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, basil, oregano and more gives you a delicious grilled pizza recipe, which is not difficult to make. Serve this pizza piping hot and everybody will love it. You might like to spray a little balsamic vinegar over the pizza before serving it because that flavor would be great with the toppings on this one.
A lot of vegetarian pizza recipes have mushrooms but if you want a vegetarian pizza without mushrooms this one is highly recommended. The fresh oregano and basil gives the pizza a sophisticated and aromatic flavor and the grilled vegetables are juicy and succulent. This recipe makes six pizzas, which are eight inches in diameter so you can serve one to each person. Feel free to halve the recipe if you do not need so many.
Eggplant is not the most common pizza topping but it does feature on various gourmet vegetarian pizza recipes because it has an unusual flavor and combines well with similar ingredients like zucchini. Leave off the red pepper flakes if you do not want any spiciness with this pizza. The garlic suits the overall vegetable flavor though and the other ingredients all work in harmony with each other.
In case you are wondering about salting the eggplant, that step is done to remove the slightly bitter flavor from the eggplant. If you do not mind it, or do not notice it, feel free to leave that step out. Either way, ensure the barbeque is fired up before you begin the recipe because you will need to pop those eggplant slices on there to cook a bit. The bell peppers are also cooked on the grill before you peel off the skin.
The prepared pizza dough saves time if you go for the readymade kind, or else you might like to make your own dough – perhaps you have a favorite pizza dough recipe you like to use. These crusts are cooked on the barbeque and then topped with tomato sauce, vegetables, oregano and garlic. You can then put the lid down and let them cook. The recipe makes several pizzas so you might have to cook them in batches depending on the size of your barbeque. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a huge grill but then you might only have a couple of mouths to feed anyway, in which case feel free to halve the recipe.
Nutritious Veggies for Your Pizza
If you want a change from meat pizza or seafood pizza then this one might be just what you are looking for. One of the great things about such a pizza is the nutrients it offers. Each vegetable used offers nutrients and the veggies also offer a colorful accent, making the pizza look even more appetizing. You can take your pick from various vegetable pizza recipes or even swap some of the vegetables listed for ones you personally favor, to make a unique dish.
- 2 eggplants, in ½ inch thick slices
- 1 zucchini, in ½ inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ lb shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 lb prepared pizza dough
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 minced clove garlic
- All purpose flour, as needed
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing on vegetables
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Salt the eggplant and zucchini slices in a colander and let them drain for half an hour. Rinse and pat dry. Brush them with olive oil and season with black pepper. Toss them in a little olive oil and cook on the grill until the slices are browned on one side.
- This will take about 3 minutes.
- Turn them over when you see grill marks and move them away from the direct heat. It will take about 6 minutes more until they are tender.
- Grill the bell peppers, turning them frequently, until they are blackened all over. Put them in a bowl and cover it so the peppers steam.
- When they are cool enough to work with, peel off the skin, take out the seeds and tear them into long, thin strips.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll the dough balls under your palm.
- Dust a work surface with flour and pat each ball down. Dust them with flour, cover them with a towel and leave them for 15 minutes, then roll each one out into an 8 inch circle.
- Brush a teaspoon of olive oil over each dough circle, and then grill oiled side up until browned.
- This will take about 2 minutes.
- Turn the dough circles over and brush some tomato sauce over the other side. Scatter the garlic, oregano, bell peppers, cheese, eggplant, red pepper and zucchini over them.
- Cover the grill and cook the pizzas for 7 minutes or until the cheese is soft and the crusts are browned on the bottom.
- Depending on the size of your grill, you might only be able to cook 1 or 2 pizzas at once.
- Top the pizzas with basil leaves and serve hot.
You can see from the photo that this gourmet vegetarian pizza without mushrooms is bright, colorful, and really appetizing. The grilled vegetables are soft, tender and they have a wonderful smoky taste. If you want to make a really delicious and popular grilled vegetarian pizza without mushrooms this one is a real winner, both in terms of appearance and flavor. This is a gourmet pizza because of the fresh herbs and fresh ingredients, and also because of the way the flavors go together so nicely.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9221 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8663 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8431 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8078 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7872 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7495 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6992 Views)