Plum tomatoes are used to give this fresh tomato pizza a wonderful flavor and the garlic goes beautifully with the tomatoes and also with the mixture of cheeses. Use vine-ripened plum tomatoes if you can get them because these are especially tasty. Cheese and tomato pizza does not sound like the most exciting kind of pizza there is but if you use a combination of flavorful cheeses, garlic and fresh tomatoes, you can make a gourmet grilled pizza recipe which everybody will be impressed with. The goat cheese, mozzarella, and cheddar are a great combination; the goat cheese is tart, the cheddar is sharp and the mozzarella has a soft flavor and melts well.
This fresh tomato pizza is simple to make and if you want to make it even easier and save more time you can use a readymade pizza crust instead of pizza dough. Feel free to double or triple the recipe too, if you like, if you have more people to feed or if you are catering for a party.
You can use oregano and basil instead of the parsley, if you want to, to give this grilled pizza recipe more of a taste of Italy. Try to use a good quality olive oil because it does make a different in the finished pizza. It does not have to be extra virgin olive oil but pick a reasonably good oil and you will taste the difference for sure.
Classic Italian Ingredients
There is a reason cheese and tomato feature on most pizza recipes, and that is because they go so well, but there is more to making a successful cheese and tomato pizza than simply adding tomato sauce and cheese to a pizza crust. In fact there is plenty of different between a basic frozen or takeout pizza and this homemade one, as you will identify when you take a bite. Mozzarella and plum tomatoes are not just used in pizza recipes but in many Italian dishes. They are a real staple in Italian cuisine, featuring in pasta dishes, meat and seafood dishes, and more besides.
More About the Toppings
Spread a good quality tomato sauce over the pizza crust and then add not only the mozzarella, but also some cheddar and goat cheese for an amazing cheesy result. Once you have put the cheese on you can add some tomato slices along with fried garlic which will be smelling amazing after you have sautéed it.
Add some of the oil you cooked the garlic in to add both moisture and more of that lovely garlic flavor, and then cook the pizza on the barbeque until it is done. Because this is a rustic yet gourmet style pizza, a touch of fresh parsley finishes it off beautifully. If you are in the mood to fire up the barbeque and you want to ensure what you cook is worthwhile, this is a great recipe to choose because it tastes so good, and the whole family will love the classic Italian flavors this pizza recipe offers.
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 sliced plum tomatoes
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Stretch out the dough to make a pizza crust and cover it with a clean towel.
- Let it rise for about 20 minutes.
- Fry the garlic for a minute in the oil in a skillet, then drain it and keep the oil.
- Blot the garlic with a paper towel to stop it from going soggy.
- Preheat the grill to high. Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza crust, and then sprinkle the cheeses on top.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of the pizzas and add the fried garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some of the remaining garlic oil over the tomatoes and use the rest to brush the crust edges.
- Slide the pizza on to the grill and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the crust is brown and puffy and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish the pizza with fresh parsley.
This wonderful three cheese and fresh tomato pizza is colorful, attractive and smells amazing. The combination of cheeses and fresh tomatoes are a winning mixture. Cut the tomatoes into quarter inch thick slices and tear the parsley by hand for the best results. You can either use pizza dough or a readymade pizza crust to make this recipe. Sometimes it is nice to make your own dough or at least roll some pizza dough out by hand, so the finished pizza looks homemade. A fresh tomato pizza is a very flavorful dish to cook for vegetarians or if you fancy a change from meat or chicken.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11155 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9216 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8651 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8421 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8071 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7858 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7488 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6986 Views)