This tasty recipe for vegetarian pizza blends red and yellow bell peppers with tomatoes, garlic, broccoli, red onion, and two kinds of cheese, for a flavorful and colorful pizza. In addition you might wish to include some Quorn Meat-Free Italian Balls (a kind of vegetarian meatball) or a similar meat replacement, if you want to add a meaty touch but still keep this vegetarian-friendly. Vegetarian pizza recipes can be just as delicious as meat or seafood pizzas and you can choose from a wide range of colorful vegetables for the toppings. To make the following pizza recipe even healthier, you can use whole wheat pizza dough to make the crust.
The fresh basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella give an authentic Italian flavor to this excellent grilled pizza recipe and grilling the bell peppers and tomatoes makes them even juicier and richer in taste. Grilled pizzas are so easy to make and grilling gives them a smoky flavor, as well as bringing the maximum flavor out of the vegetables. If the day is warm, why not fire up the grill and make this recipe for vegetarian pizza to surprise your family?
You can use either mozzarella or provolone cheese in this recipe because both melt well, making them great cheeses for pizza recipes. The parmesan adds an extra flavor dimension to the overall taste. This recipe makes two medium sized pizzas, although you could make it in one piece if you have a baker’s peel (like a flat shovel with a long handle) for handling the pizza and a really big grill!
Making the Pizza Like a Pro
The bell peppers and tomatoes are cooked on the barbeque first, before you assemble the pizza, so prepare the grill well ahead so it has time to get warm enough to get those veggies nice and tender. Next you need to prepare the crusts and cook them on both sides, before adding the veggies, cheese and garlic, then just close the lid and cook them until the cheese is melted and the toppings are hot. These ingredients work so nicely together and you will be able to taste the flavor of every ingredient used in this recipe. If this is your first time making pizza you will be pleasantly surprised how easy the recipe is to prepare and, as for the flavor, you will not be disappointed there either.
Tips to Ensure a Fabulous Result
This recipe calls for regular tomatoes but if you only have cherry tomatoes you can use those instead. The flavor will be the same but the appearance will be different. Lose the pips and center parts before adding the tomatoes to the pizza because you do not want the crust to get soggy, and the pips do not add anything to the flavor. Choose from mozzarella or provolone for this pizza, depending on which flavor you happen to prefer or what you have in the refrigerator.
You can even add some cheddar or blue cheese to add another dimension to this pizza. That is the great thing about homemade pizzas. You can make them however you want, adding herbs or parmesan to the crust if you are making your own dough, or coming up with new topping ideas. You can add extra toppings to a store-bought pizza but do not expect such a fresh result because honestly nothing beats homemade pizza.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 2 fresh whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella or provolone
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Olive oil, as needed
- ¼ finely sliced red onion
- 2 oz broccoli florets
- Small handful Quorn Meat-Free Italian balls or similar non-meat product (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the grill on one side only.
- Brush some olive oil over the bell peppers and tomatoes. Season them with salt and pepper. Grill the cherry tomatoes and bell peppers over the hot side of the grill until they are soft. You will need to turn them once or twice during the cooking time.
- The tomatoes will take 4 or 5 minutes. The bell peppers will need about 10 minutes.
- Put the charred bell peppers in a plastic or paper bag and seal it. Let them stand in their own steam for 10 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes. Take the cores and seeds out of the bell peppers, scrape the skin off, and chop them up.
- Oil a pair of baking sheets and divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each one into a 9 inch round and brush them with oil. Transfer each dough circle from the baking sheet to the hot side of the grill and cook them for a couple of minutes, until the bottoms set.
- Flip the dough over with a wide spatula, to cook the other side for a couple of minutes.
- Slide the pizza crusts over to the cooler part of the grill and scatter the vegetables, garlic, and cheese over them. Add the Quorn too, if using.
- Close the grill lid and let the pizzas cook for about 4 minutes, moving them around every minute or so, so that they do not char.
This is a colorful recipe for vegetarian pizza and it is guaranteed to taste every bit as mouthwatering as it looks in the photo. If you enjoy fresh vegetables, you will love this healthy pizza. The broccoli, red onion and tomato adds lots of vibrant color to this vegetarian pizza. This is a simple pizza to make and you just have to grill the vegetables, roll out the pizza dough, and grill the pizza until the vegetables are hot and tender and the cheese melts. This pizza makes a delicious dinner. Serve it with a tossed salad and some garlic bread for a complete meal.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9216 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8654 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8425 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8071 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7858 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7491 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6986 Views)