This one is a grilled pizza with attitude! If Italian pizza is one of your favorite comfort foods, imagine a pizza topped high with all your favorite ingredients, including melted cheese, ham, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and the tastiest crust.
This wonderful Italian pizza recipe is fit for a king and if you make this for your family tonight, they will love you for it, as each different flavor explodes on their tongues. This pizza is rich in vegetables, meat, cheese and plenty of other healthy ingredients proving, once again, that homemade pizza recipes are full of nutrients as well as being tasty. Al Pacino, eat your heart out!
When you first look at this recipe you might think there are quite a lot of ingredients, at least when compared to some of our other barbequed pizza recipes, but wait – this one is well worth making if you want a really special result. Yes you will have to make the dough yourself and there are a number of toppings, but it is so good. Sometimes making a recipe with lots of ingredients and more prep steps than you might be used to is well worth the effort, because the results are just so incredible. Making the dough is not difficult. You need to combine the ingredients for it and then knead it, let it rise, roll it out, and cook it. If this is your first time making pizza dough, you will love how good it feels to make your own, and you can expect such a nice, fresh flavor.
The crust needs to be cooked for a bit before you add the toppings to it, and you will be able to watch it on the grill, turning from raw to fully cooked. The color will change and you can see when it is done. Fresh flavors on this pizza include tomato and onion, and then you have mozzarella, as well as ham and bacon for a meaty touch, and basil and oregano, herbs which are typical of Italy and suit the other flavors on this pizza. Whether you are someone who enjoys the occasion Italian meal, a hardcore Italian food buff or Al Pacino himself, there is no doubt you will find this to be the Godfather of all pizza recipes. Not only can you enjoy the amazing homemade crust, but also the absolute best toppings plus the smoky aroma the barbeque lends to the pizza. This one is, as the Italians would say, magnifico!
Although this recipe is perfect if you make it just as the recipe details, there is nothing wrong with a few tweaks if you are that way inclined. If you want to save time, or you really do not want to make your own crust, feel free to use readymade pizza dough or a readymade crust. Your pizza will still be very tasty because you are adding the sauce and toppings yourself, and you can choose between a deep or thin crust. The bacon and ham can be swapped for sausage, chicken or beef, as long as they are cooked beforehand, while the sweet onion can be exchanged for red, white or plain yellow onion. The dried herbs can be swapped for fresh ones too, and you can also add any other veggies you want to the toppings.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3 ½ cups unbleached white flour
- ½ cup mozzarella
- 3 rashers cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ham, chopped
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Add the yeast and sugar to ½ cup of the warm water and let it stand for 5 minutes or until you have froth on top. Sift the flours, cornmeal, and salt into a bowl, make a depression in the middle, and pour in the rest of the warm water and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the yeast mixture. Mix with your hands and place the dough on a floured board.
- Knead for 10 minutes. Add more flour if the dough is sticky. Grease a bowl with olive oil and put the dough in it, turning it to coat it is oil. Cover and put it in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the grill to very hot.
- Roll the dough out, about ½ inch thick and coat both sides in olive oil.
- Place it on the grill directly over the heat until the top starts to bubble.
- This will take about 2 minutes. Rotate it with a spatula if you need to.
- Remove the crust and turn it over.
- Brush with olive oil and add the cheese, toppings, and herbs.
- Sprinkle more olive oil over the top and grill for another 3 or 4 minutes.
This wonderful recipe shows you how to make an authentic Italian pizza crust and also suggests the tastiest toppings to go on there. The picture shows how rich and hearty this pizza is going to be, and you will love the toppings which combine a meaty flavor with cheese, veggies, and even some tasty herbs. Nobody is going to be hungry after enjoying a slice or 2 of this wonderful pizza, and you can taste the homemade charm in every bite. This is a recipe for everyone, adults and kids alike.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40258 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16147 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11284 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9248 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (9212 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8567 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8268 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7979 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7555 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (7090 Views)