This buffalo chicken pizza recipe is another in a long line of great ways to cook barbecue chicken. The first chicken pizza of this time was introduced in 1985 by California Pizza Kitchen, and was extremely popular for a long time. There were lots of copycat recipes around for a while, but now you do not see this kind of pizza on all that many restaurant menus. That is bad news for those of us craving a buffalo chicken pizza.
Fortunately, we can make one that is just as good at home. This buffalo chicken pizza recipe features bacon, for an extra treat. It is relatively simple to make, as long as you have a prepared pizza crust ready in advance. Hot and delicious out of the oven, this is the remedy for the ordinary pizza.
The first thing to do is add oil and cornmeal to your pizza dough and make sure it is stretched out into the shape you want. This does not have to be square, round or even an equal shape. A rustic shape is just fine too, and it would add that charming homemade look. Barbeque sauce is used on this pizza, which makes a change from the tomato sauce you perhaps usually use, and it combines so nicely with the chicken and bacon which go on next, adding an earthy, meaty flavor, as well as that lovely smoky edge.
Add some parmesan cheese and scallions as well, since these flavors contrast with the others, rounding out the overall taste of your buffalo chicken pizza, and adding more color too. Cook the assembled pizza on the barbeque and you will see the cheese melt. Your mouth will certainly be watering by this stage and you can expect a crowd of hungry people standing around the barbeque asking if the pizza is ready yet. That is to be expected with such a great recipe! Although pizza does not require side dishes you might like to offer some. You could prepare a mixed leaf salad in advance or consider something like vegetable kabobs or corn on the cob. Garlic bread is also nice with pizza and you could warm it up on the barbeque alongside the pizza, perhaps wrapped in foil.
What is Buffalo Chicken Exactly?
Buffalos and chickens are totally different animals, so what is the story behind buffalo chicken, and what does it mean exactly? Buffalo chicken is usually made with hot sauce and butter, and you can cook wings like this, or try drumsticks, chicken breast or another kind of chicken. Served with blue cheese as well as celery and carrot batons, this makes a fiery hot snack which is just delicious.
This recipe changes things up a bit because instead of the hot sauce you will be using barbeque sauce. If you want it mild just follow the recipe as it is, and remember red pepper flakes are part of the recipe so it is up to you how much or how little to put on. If you prefer to spice things up further then you can either pick a spicy barbeque sauce or else add extra cayenne or chili powder, sliced jalapeños or hot sauce to the pizza before barbequing it. You can also serve hot sauce on the side so people can add their own preferred quality.
- Coarse cornmeal for pizza pan
- 1 twelve inch pizza crust
- extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup fresh scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- dried red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- barbecue sauce for drizzling
- Heat grill to appropriate temperature and close lid. Brush 12 inch pizza pan lightly with oil and sprinkle surface with cornmeal. Stretch and roll out dough and place on pan, then brush with more olive oil. Spoon barbecue sauce onto dough and top with cheese, then add bacon, chicken, parmesan, and scallions. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Place on grill and close lid. Cook on medium high for five to eight minutes or until crust has browned and cheese is melted. Thicker crust pizzas should be cooked on lower heat for longer, thinner crust pizzas on higher heat for less time. Remove with tongs and place on cookie sheet. Drizzle with additional barbecue sauce, cut into wedges, and serve.
This pizza features not only delicious barbeque sauce in place of tomato sauce, but also wonderful toppings. You have chicken, bacon, scallions, and parmesan cheese, ingredients which combine perfectly, each one offering its own special flavor, and the combo of bacon and chicken means plenty of meatiness here. It is up to you the quantity of red pepper flakes to add, because some people prefer their buffalo chicken spicier than others. Serve the hot sauce on the side so everyone can add their own if different people have different preferences. This rich, meaty pizza is a meat-lover’s dream dinner.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9221 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8663 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8431 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8078 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7872 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7495 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6992 Views)