Grilled pizza recipes are a dime a dozen, but this one is extra special. The bacon really adds a lot of flavor, especially when combined with that creamy Fontina cheese. The fresh rosemary added at the end adds a fresh flavor to contrast with the smokiness of the bacon and flavors imparted by the grill. The homemade sauce with the heirloom tomatoes really is much better than anything from the store. Stock up on heirloom tomatoes when they are in season. Make extra sauce and freeze it for the pizzas you want later in the year.
If you have never grilled pizza before, you are in for a treat. It really is not hard at all. Keep a close eye on your pizzas at all time to make sure you do not overcook them, but even if they get a little black on the bottom, they will taste good. Do not be surprised if it takes a few tries to really get the hang of it. Once you do, however, you will want every pizza cooked on the grill.
Serve your grilled pizza with a fresh green salad to make a complete meal. Make several and cut them up for appetizers. Your friends and family will love this delicious recipe. This simple recipe may become a family favorite, so be prepared to fire up the grill frequently. The dough can be made ahead of time and frozen until you need it. Just take the dough out of the freezer that morning so it can thaw.
Delicious Homemade Dough
The crust for this pizza is not hard to make, and if this is your first foray into pizza crust making, you will be pleasantly surprised to discover how simple it is to make not only a good crust but a great one. The dough is based on flour, yeast, oil, salt, sugar, and water, and you just need to combine these ingredients and let it rise. It will take a couple of hours to rise so plan to make this pizza ahead, so you have the time. If you do not have time to make pizza dough then you can use store-bought dough, but do take the time to make your own if you can, because it will be really tasty. Anyone can make homemade pizza dough. All you need are the ingredients and a little time and effort.
A Sensational Sauce
The tasty sauce is made with tomatoes, garlic, shallots, herbs and seasonings, and it is allowed to cook gently on the stove for a while so the flavors can blend and mellow. The pizza crusts are topped with this tasty homemade sauce which boasts such an amazing flavor, and then you can add the finishing touches which are bacon, shallots, Fontina cheese, and some fresh rosemary. Frozen pizzas are nowhere near this good, and you cannot get such a lovely fresh flavor from takeout pizza either. If you want the absolute best, or you want to spoil your family with a tasty pizza recipe, then why not make this? The dough and sauce are both homemade and therefore will take a bit of work, but it is definitely worth it for such amazing results.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- ½ Tablespoon dried basil
- 6 heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heirloom Tomato Sauce
- 1 package bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
- Fresh rosemary for garnish
- Mix the oil and water. Add the bread flour, salt, sugar, and yeast to the food processor. Pulse a couple times to mix.
- While the processor is running, add the water mixture through the tube of the processor. Keep mixing until the dough forms a ball that clears the side of the bowl. Add flour one tablespoon at a time if needed until the dough forms a ball.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 2 hours.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook them until they are soft; about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and oregano. Add tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes. This makes about 5 cups of sauce.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and dust with flour. Flatten each ball and roll them out until they are about 8 inches in diameter. Do not worry if they are not perfectly round; grilled pizzas are supposed to be rustic, anyway.
- Heat the grill to a medium high temperature. Lay the crusts on the grill. As soon as they begin to brown on the bottom, flip them over. Put some of the Heirloom tomato sauce on each crust. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce, then the shallots. Top it off with the bacon. Put the cover down on the grill and let them cook until the crust is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with fresh rosemary. Let them sit a couple minutes before slicing.
Cooking your pizza on the grill gives it so much flavor. The smoky flavors of the grill soak into the crust and all the toppings, creating a pizza that tastes amazing. Our Grilled Pizza with Bacon and Rosemary combines the flavors of the grill with crispy bacon, creamy Fontina cheese and the pungent taste of fresh rosemary to create a pizza you will never forget. This recipe makes an excellent lunch or dinner. If you have any leftovers, simply warm them in the oven and enjoy them as a snack. Once you taste this, you will have a new favorite pizza.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9216 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8656 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8428 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8073 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7864 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7493 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6986 Views)