Doesn’t a barbecue chicken pizza sound good? You can have one tonight with this deliciously simple recipe. You can use leftover chicken or cook some up from scratch to put on the pizza. Let it grill for a few minutes on the barbecue and dinner is ready. Feel free to substitute ingredients if you wish. Tomatoes, herbs and other tasty ingredients work well on the grill.
The cheese combination on this pizza is really good. Let your barbecue pizza cook until the cheese is all melted and bubbly so the flavors combine perfectly. Provolone, mozzarella, and Asiago cheeses are made for each other. Watch the crust though… it will tell you if the grill is too hot by browning too quickly. You can cool down your grill by turning down the burner on a gas grill or by moving coals away from the food on a charcoal grill. After a few tries, you will become an expert at grilling pizza. Do not worry if the crust gets a little too done the first couple of tries. It is still delicious.
Serve your barbecue chicken pizza with a fresh green salad for a full meal. Leftovers can be quickly reheated in the oven to maintain a crisp crust and eaten for lunch or a snack. If pizza is a favorite meal at your house, everyone will soon discover the fun of making your own pizzas on the grill. You cannot get this flavor from any pizza restaurant. The grill gives the entire pizza a delicious smoky flavor that cannot be beat.
Such Lovely Toppings
Whether you use leftover chicken, buy some cooked chicken or even cook your own, the chicken is one of the main toppings in this delicious pizza recipe. The recipe does call for mesquite-smoked chicken but do not worry if you cannot get that kind, since this will still be a nice pizza, and the barbeque will give a smoky flavor to the pizza anyway.
Using 3 kinds of cheese is also great. A lot of pizza recipes feature more than one kind of cheese, and mozzarella is one of the most popular, but go ahead and use all 3, and you will love how much more dimension this gives to the overall flavor of the pizza. The bell pepper works nicely to add color and crunch. Add it raw to the pizza and you can expect a nice crisp-tender result. If you prefer your vegetables softer you can par-boil or barbeque the bell peppers in advance before making the pizza. It is up to you, but the crisp-tender result is always nice.
This Pizza is a Great Choice
There are so many different pizza recipes, it can be really hard to pick just one and make that. If you are wondering what to make though, this one is good because the chicken, cheese and bell peppers keep things simple, while the tomato sauce works well here too. If you want to change any of the ingredients go ahead and personalize this pizza to make it your own. Because pizza is so tasty there is no reason why you cannot make a different type every week.
You will soon work out which homemade dough recipe you prefer or you can just keep a supply of readymade pizza dough to hand, and you can also experiment with different sauces, as well as different toppings. Use leftover seafood, chicken or meat to top your pizzas, or any vegetables you want, focusing on vividly colored ones for amazing visual appeal. This particular recipe will not let you down because it looks good and tastes even better.
- 2 pizza crusts
- Cornmeal and flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ pound provolone cheese, shredded
- 4 cups mesquite smoked chicken, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cored and cut in strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and cut in strips
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- Dice leftover barbecued chicken or chicken from the grocery store. If you do not have leftover chicken, cook a couple boneless pieces of chicken and season to taste. Dice after cooking.
- Dust your work surface with flour or cornmeal and roll out your pizza crusts.
- Prepare your grill so that one side is hot and the other side is medium hot. Soak a pan of mesquite chips and apply them to the grill before you add your pizza. Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Slide the pizza crust onto the grill rack over the hot coals and shut the lid for 2 minutes. Remove the dough, placing the crust grilled side up on a pizza pan or baking sheet. Repeat with the second crust.
- Brush the crusts with olive oil and some tomato sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and provolone over the crusts. Top each pizza with the chicken and pepper strips. Sprinkle each with the Asiago cheese.
- Slide one pizza back onto the grill on the medium hot side. Close the grill cover and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Check the crust so it does not brown too fast. Lower the heat if needed by moving coals to the hot side or reducing the thermostat. Cook another 4 to 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and crust is brown.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Repeat the last step with the second pizza.
There is nothing better than a pizza hot off the grill! The smoky flavor of the mesquite chips permeates the crust and all the toppings, giving you a fabulous pizza to enjoy. The colorful peppers make the pizza visually appealing as well as adding their own flavor to the finished dish. It is worth the effort to learn to grill your pizzas; they are really good! You will wonder why you ever cooked them any other way. Remember to let the pizza cool slightly before slicing to let the topping set into place.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9216 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8651 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8422 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8071 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7858 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7488 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6986 Views)