If you are doubtful that bacon-wrapped anything could be considered low in calories, it is high time you discovered this recipe! Choose center-cut bacon to reduce the fat content. Chicken is already lean. You are cooking these on the barbeque, which means any fat is going to drip off. Deep-frying is fine if you are watching your carbs but not worried about calories so much (and this recipe is carb-free if so) but using a barbeque offers low-fat results with an unbeatable smoky flavor. This recipe serves 10 people and each serving is only 70 calories. A large apple is more than that, but which would you rather have?
Serve these delicious chicken bites with sweet red chili sauce or your favorite low-calorie dressing, and the flavor is sure to put a smile on your face. Meat is not the enemy when watching your calories, not even bacon which is not usually thought of as a ‘diet’ food. If you compare streaky bacon fried in oil to a leaner type of bacon cooked over the barbeque, you will see the first one is much higher in fat and calories than the second. Bacon always tastes good though, regardless of which kind you use, so choose center-cut bacon and lean chicken, and you can be assured of a low-calorie snack which tastes wonderful. These can be served as an appetizer, in which case one is sufficient, or you could have several as a main dish.
The Harmony of Chicken and Bacon
Chicken and bacon go beautifully together. Chicken is quite neutral as regards flavor, so it goes nicely with all kinds of seasonings and flavors from mild to bold, and from sweet to spicy, and you can also combine it with other meats. Bacon offers a meaty, salty taste, and that really complements the chicken. When is the last time you had chicken and bacon together? Perhaps you had a chicken and bacon topped pizza, or a chicken and bacon spaghetti carbonara.
Maybe you even tried bacon-wrapped chicken before. Some recipes call for a whole chicken breast to be stuffed, maybe with mozzarella and spinach, then wrapped in bacon. That of course is for an entrée. This recipe is similar, but without the stuffing and with smaller quantities of chicken and bacon, making it ideal to serve as an appetizer. Not only do the finished bacon-wrapped chicken mini-kabobs look gorgeous but you can expect a fabulous flavor too, whether you choose to serve them just as they are, or with a spicy, cream or herby dipping sauce.
Preparing these Tasty Treats
In this recipe we are cutting the chicken into cubes and cutting the bacon slices into smaller pieces, so you will end up with 30 pieces of chicken and 30 pieces of bacon. The bacon wraps around the chicken and then you can thread 3 on to each skewer. If you are using bigger skewers put 5 or 6 on each if you want. Bamboo skewers must be soaked in cold water for 30 minutes before you use them, else they will catch fire on the barbeque. Obviously metal ones require no soaking.
- 1¼ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 30 cubes
- 10 slices center-cut bacon, cut into thirds
- 10 bamboo skewers
- Heat the barbeque to medium-hot.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for half an hour.
- Wrap a bacon piece around each chicken piece.
- Thread 3 of these bacon-wrapped chicken pieces on to each skewer.
- Tuck in the ends so they look neater.
- Barbeque them for 7 minutes on each side or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
Treat yourself to something special without breaking your diet. Even if you are watching your waistline, one or two of these lovely mini-kabobs is not going to hurt. They are only 70 calories each, on average, depending on the kind of bacon and how much fat it contains. Served with a dipping sauce, these make a brilliant appetizer, and they are so easy to prepare. In fact you only need 2 ingredients as well as your skewers. The barbeque adds a tantalizing smoky aroma to the kabobs to make them extra mouthwatering. These are ideal for low-calorie or low-carb eaters.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40220 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16084 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11037 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9210 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8227 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (7994 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (7899 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7793 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7360 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6905 Views)