This recipe takes some work but it is so good, and the flavors are so fresh-tasting and authentic. If you are looking for a recipe to make a traditional Indian dish, this is the perfect one for you, because you are going to be so impressed with how this tastes. You will want to make this again and again, once you know how amazing it tastes. You will need chicken breasts, thighs and legs, so everyone gets the choice what kind of meat they like, the lean breast meat or the juicier leg meat. This is a lovely recipe to make on the barbeque because you are using direct and indirect grilling, plus the smoky aroma works nicely with the Indian seasonings.
How to Make It
The chicken is soaked in paprika and lemon juice first of all, and the lemon really penetrates into the chicken and helps to tenderize it. Yes chicken is already tender but it makes it slightly softer. Buttermilk is often used as a marinade for chicken in India because it gives the chicken not only a nice tang but also helps to makes it soft. In this recipe though, we are using lemon juice to do that instead, and that is typical in tandoori recipes. You will need to give the chicken that citric edge because it is a key part of the tandoori ingredients.
Next it is time to make your spice mix and for that you will need either a blender or food processor. Ginger, garlic, cardamom, and garam masala blend with yogurt to make the spice paste. You are free to double the amount of cardamom used if you really like the taste, but we prefer a milder cardamom flavor so are not using much here. Now it is time to marinate the chicken, so put it in the refrigerator and leave those wonderful spices and seasonings to do their job and add a distinctive Indian flavor to your chicken.
Cooking the Tandoori Chicken
Prepare the barbeque half an hour before you are ready to start cooking the chicken if you are using a charcoal barbeque, or light it 10 minutes in advance if you are using a gas grill. You will be cooking the chicken directly first, which means over the hot coals, and then you will be pushing the coals to either side of the barbeque so you can finish the chicken off over a gentler heat. Cook the chicken on skewers so you can flip it more easily and keep turning it to get it to cook evenly. If you are using bamboo skewers soak them for half an hour in water before threading the chicken on to them, otherwise they might ignite on the barbeque.
What to Serve with This Dish
The chicken is spicy and full-flavored, so consider serving it with mint raita, which is a mixture of very finely sliced cucumber and yogurt with a touch of garlic, salt and cumin added. Lemon wedges to squeeze over the tandoori chicken are also a good idea, and consider warm naan bread or white rice as well. Another great idea is a garden salad, because the fresh flavors of that would contrast nicely with the spicy taste of the tandoori chicken.
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into big chunks
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1½ oz melted unsalted butter
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- ¾ teaspoon finely ground cardamom seeds
- 1 cup natural yogurt (not low-fat)
- Make some ¼ inch slashes on both sides of the chicken legs and thighs.
- Put them in a bowl with the chicken breast chunks.
- Sprinkle paprika and lemon juice over it, then some salt.
- Rub these into the chicken, then cover and set aside for half an hour.
- Put the ginger, garlic, garam masala, cardamom, yogurt, and oil into a blender or food processor.
- Puree until smooth, then pour this over the chicken and combine well.
- Cover and chill for 6 hours (or at least 1 hour).
- Light the barbeque half an hour before you want to cook the chicken.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and shake off any excess.
- Thread the thighs and breast pieces on to skewers, leaving 1½ inches between each piece to let the heat circulate.
- Brush oil over the chicken and also oil the barbeque grates.
- Cook the chicken on the hot barbeque for 4 minutes per side.
- Use a spatula to move it often so it does not stick.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and brush the melted butter over it.
- Push the coals to the edges of the barbeque so it is slightly cooler in the middle.
- Put the chicken back on the barbeque and cook it over the indirect heat for 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Piece the thickest bit of the leg to check the juices run clear.
- If not, cook the chicken for another minute and check again.
- Serve the chicken with your favorite Indian side dishes.
Photo Description: Tandoori chicken is always good, but best when you follow an authentic recipe like this one, so you can be sure what you are eating is as good as what an Indian chef would make, and really enjoy the way those flavors come together. In the photo you can see the rich reddish brown shade of the tandoori chicken, and also how colorful the fresh cilantro garnish looks, along with the lovely fresh salad. This is a fantastic recipe for the barbeque because the smoky accent works so well with the tandoori chicken taste.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16106 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11149 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9215 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8639 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8414 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8063 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7855 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7476 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6983 Views)