Vegetables are eaten in every single culture, unlike certain meats, fish, and grains and there are lots of different ways to prepare them. Grilling is a popular cooking method in many different countries including the US, the UK, Australia, parts of Africa and most of Europe and vegetables often find their way on to the grill to accompany the wonderful meat and fish there too.
One reason why grilling is so popular all over the globe is that it is simple to cook food in this way. Grilling gives food a smoky flavor and cooking over an open fire has been done since cooking was invented!
Barbecuing techniques have obviously changed since the early days of grilling and you can get modern grills, which have plenty of features and are simple enough for everyone to use easily and safely.
Favorite Vegetables in Other Countries
In the US and the UK you will often find corn on the cob, potatoes or vegetable kabobs on the grill, as well as mushrooms, onion or anything else which will be a good accompaniment for the steaks, chicken or fish. Similar side dishes are popular in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
Colorful bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes are popular in Mediterranean cuisine and vegetables like Chinese cabbage, green onions, and water chestnuts are well loved in oriental recipes. Root vegetables are often eaten in places with cold climates because they grow well there and are resilient to the frost and wet weather. Root vegetables include turnips, rutabaga, yams, and carrots.
One reason why grilled vegetables are popular everywhere is that it is obviously easier to have everything cooking on the grill in front of you rather than having just the meat on the grill and having to keep running into the kitchen to check the frying, steaming, boiling or baking vegetables. A hot plate can be used rather than an outdoor grill if the weather is not good, although the vegetables will not have the same smoky flavor that they get when cooked over an open fire.
Barbecued Vegetable Flavorings
Some cultures like to add plenty of flavorings and seasonings to their grilled vegetable recipes and other are likely to leave them plain. Indian vegetable dishes, for instance, are often flavored with chilies, curry, or other strong spices. Some Asian vegetable dishes are flavored with soy sauce, honey, satay, sesame seeds or rice vinegar, depending on the vegetables used and what you are serving them with.
Even if you prefer your grilled veggies without strong seasonings, a squeeze of lemon juice, some salt and pepper or a drizzle of olive oil can liven them up a bit. Some freshly grated Parmesan cheese can go nicely with some grilled vegetable recipes, or even herb butter. You can make this by combining your favorite herb with some butter and basting the vegetables as they grill or else you can serve the herb butter on the side.
You can, of course, match your barbecued vegetable recipes to the main dish you are making. If you are grilling a light flavored fish, Mediterranean vegetable kabobs will be a nice side dish and you can make these by threading bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms on to skewers. If you are grilling steaks, then grilled corn on the cob and potatoes will go beautifully with them. You can also be creative with grilled vegetables and grill whichever veggies you fancy!
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16115 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11163 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9221 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8672 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8433 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8080 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7888 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7507 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6997 Views)