Grilled vegetables are difficult to get wrong because grilling is such an easy way to cook but there are a few handy tips and tricks you should know about before starting on your grilled vegetable recipes.
Rinse your vegetables first of all to remove any dirt. You can cut them in half or into thick slices, depending which veggies you are using. Make sure they are of consistent thickness and no more than an inch thick at the most.
If you are going to cook whole potatoes, you might want to bake parboil them until they are tender. You do not have to do this but bear in mind they will take a long time to grill otherwise. Remove the silks from corn on the cob but leave the husks on and soak them in water for an hour before cooking.
Marinades and Seasonings
You can marinate your vegetables if you want and most vegetable marinade recipes will be a combination of oil, lemon or limejuice and seasonings. Two parts of olive oil, one part of lemon juice and one peeled, crushed clove of garlic makes a nice vegetable marinade and you can use different herbs such as thyme, marjoram or rosemary.
Light balsamic vinegar salad dressing is beautiful with grilled mushrooms or grilled asparagus. Red wine vinegar, olive oil, and fresh herbs brings out the wonderful flavor of sweet potatoes. You can also be creative with marinades, seasoning, and experiment with flavor combinations.
You can use different oils too, such as sesame or walnut and vinegars such as sherry, red wine or balsamic. You can make your marinade a day ahead and store it covered in the refrigerator. Leave the vegetables marinating for fifteen minutes. If you are not using a marinade, brush the vegetables all over with oil before you cook them so they do not stick to the grill and break in half when you try to turn them over.
Flavored butters like herb butter or chili butter are great with grilled vegetables. To make flavored butter, you just mix soft, unsalted butter with your choice of seasoning.
Vegetable Grilling Methods
Your grill should have a medium or medium hot fire and you can either grill the vegetables directly over the heat, in a suspended wire basket, in foil packets or on kabob skewers. If you are using kabob skewers, use two so when you turn the skewer the vegetables do not spin. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for an hour in cold water first so they do not catch fire. Metal skewers should be clean and lightly oiled.
If your grill is big enough, you can use a variety of grilling methods, such as veggie kabobs, a hanging grill basket and even cooking some whole or halved veggies too.
Start off with vegetables that take a long time to cook. Peppers and potatoes take longer than moisture-filled vegetables like tomatoes. Turn the vegetables often, adding more marinade or oil as needed. Most veggies cook quickly so never leave them unattended on the grill.
Perhaps the most important grilling vegetable tip is to have fun, whatever recipes you are making. Creating your own oil, vinegar and herb marinades can be enjoyable and savoring the results is better still. Grilled vegetables are healthy and full of nutrients and grilling makes them juicy and bursting with flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16115 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11163 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9221 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8672 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8433 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8078 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7880 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7505 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6995 Views)