Grilled vegetables are very popular because not only do they make a great meal by themselves but they also complement pretty much any meat, poultry, or seafood recipe. You can mix, match grill vegetables because a colorful vegetable dish of oranges, reds, greens, yellows, purples, and more looks wonderfully appetizing.
Some of the vegetables that do not grill well are lettuce, cucumber, cauliflower, and leafy vegetables. This leaves plenty of scope for vegetables that do grill well, so if you like mushrooms, corn on the cob, potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, pumpkin, onions, garlic, cabbage, and yams, these are just some of the wonderful vegetables you can use in grilled vegetable recipes.
Equipment for Making Grilled Vegetables
You do not need a lot of equipment to make grilled veggies. Some kind of grill is necessary. Small, basic grills do not cost much and you can choose between a charcoal, electric or gas grill. Go for the charcoal grill if you like your food to have a smoky flavor!
Long-handled utensils like basting brushes, spatulas, and tongs are handy. Two sets of tongs are a good idea – one for moving the hot coals and the other for moving the food. A thermostat, heavy duty mitts, water sprayers (for flare ups) and foil trays to catch drippings are all useful too and you can also get hinged wire baskets, grill toppers, skewers and more, depending on which grilled vegetable recipes you want to make.
Preparing Vegetables for the Grill
Once you have all your grilling equipment ready, it is time to make some barbequed veggies! It goes without saying that some vegetables are going to take longer to grill than others. Potatoes are bigger and more dense than tomatoes, for example, so you can either par-boil the potatoes before putting them on the grill or start them earlier if they need to be ready at the same time.
If you are making a vegetable kabobs recipe, you will need to use vegetables that have the same cooking time unless you are using parboiled ones. You will need to cut your vegetables into even sized pieces so that the pieces take the same amount of time to cook.
If you are using small vegetables, such as garlic cloves, corn kernels or anything finely chopped, you might like to cook them in foil packets or in a special grill wok. You can use a grill topper for some small items too, which stops your veggies falling through the grate on to the coals.
Grilling the Veggies
Once your grill reaches a medium heat and your vegetables are prepared, it is time to cook them! If you have not marinated your veggies, you can brush them with oil so they do not stick to the grate. Remember that vegetables can char easily so you will need to keep an eye on them as they cook.
Turn the vegetables often and brush more oil on when necessary. The vegetables are done when they are soft in the middle and the skin starts to blister. Different vegetables have different cooking times. Some might take five minutes and others might take half an hour. Remove the veggies carefully with long-handled tongs and rest them for a few minutes before serving.
A wonderful selection of healthy vegetarian choices for grilling that next cookout. Grilled vegetables are a wonderfully versatile food that is so popular. It is as international yet as American as hot dogs and hamburgers are. We hope you find the grilling help you need in our grilled vegetable articles section and that perfect recipe to go with that new found knowledge.
Leave a Reply
- Classic Beef Burger with Swiss Cheese Tomato and Cucumber May 10, 2016
- Barbequed Hawaiian Guava Chicken Thighs May 5, 2016
- Non-Mayo Based Cabbage Coleslaw April 26, 2016
- Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce Kansas City Style April 22, 2016
- Spicy Cowboy Beans with Beef and Bacon April 13, 2016
- Dijon Mustard and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce April 1, 2016
- Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with Gorgonzola and Fig March 26, 2016
- 4 Ways to Barbeque Chicken Breast for Best Results March 20, 2016
- 4 Summer Drink Ideas for Your Next Barbeque March 20, 2016
- Grilled New Englander Seafood Pizza March 12, 2016
- Home (40234 Views)
- One of the Best Recipes for Grilled Eggplant (16109 Views)
- A Healthy Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe (11157 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs (9218 Views)
- Herb Marinated Pork Kabobs with Vegetables (8663 Views)
- Kiwi Apple Mocktail (8431 Views)
- White Wine Marinated Chicken Breasts (8078 Views)
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna Recipe (7872 Views)
- Easy Grilled Chinese Vegetables Packets (7495 Views)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Recipe (6989 Views)